Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Camping with my family

As kids my brother, cousins and I camped quite a few times a year.  When I was about 10 or 11 my dad and my grandparents both had an acre of land in the upper peninsula of Michigan.  The lots were next together and were on a lake.  This was not the normal Jellystone camping trip where some poor schmuck dressed up as Yogi and BooBoo and walked around the campsite.  These 2 acres had no water or electricity on it the first time we went up. 

This first time camping up there, we went up with my 2 cousins, my aunt and uncle and a few other family friends.  Well needless to say there was no restroom either.  There was a group of trees that did offer some privacy.  So the my father and the rest of the adults took a lawn chair and cut a hole in it and put a garbage bag in the hole.  Yep, that was the bathroom.  The rule was if it got full you had to change the bag or if you had a bowel movement.  Needless to say it was quite interesting.  Especially with a bunch of kids under the age of 13.  You had to announce every time you went to the bathroom so that no one would walk in the area.  Put a bunch of goofy ass, drunk people together and even announcing did not ensure privacy because someone thought it would be funny to take pictures of people. 

At the end of the trip we had to take the bags out with us.  So my Aunt sat on the back of our pop-up camper with the bag of poop and pee.  Well needless to say the bag leaked all over her.  Not only did she smell from only taking baths in the lake but now she smelled like an outhouse.  No one wanted her in any of the cars.  But my Uncle and cousins were stuck with her.  It was the one and only time my brother and I did not want to ride in their car.  Of course my cousins were begging to ride in our car.

Until next time don't let the bag leak.

No comments:

Post a Comment